Sunday, July 10, 2011

SOME STUFF I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE...EVER...REALLY!

What an exhausting couple of days.  As you are certain to see, my brain is so dog tired that I can't properly write.

Sorry, kids.  No clever writing today, gigantic women, hideous shoes...but a story so shocking, it's a shame I can't tell it better at the moment.  But I promised myself I'd spit something out for you.

Shipped the $2K Mega for myself to get into the main yesterday.  Pretty pleased with that; wound up spending my max allocation for the main: $3k and got in.  I've only played the WSOP LV main once before in 2009.  I was thrilled to, as anyone should be. 

Strange to think that after a certain amount of time, you expect to get into the main event (anywhere), and place so much internal stock on whether or not you can make the cut.

So it was nice shipping tonight's 1K Mega as well tonight, for a friend of mine who staked me out of the blue.  Back to back Mega shipping feels good  (earning two "seats" in two nights), but I hope I haven't worn myself out for the main tomorrow.  Truth be told, I'd never been staked ever before and was wondering how it would affect my play today.  I'm not the guy to go out and "Eskimo" people on the rail begging to get into anything.  I've always played with my own money, independently and stubbornly.  To some I suppose that means increasing my variance, but to me it's decreasing my variance.

Anyway today's $1K became a hysterical zoo unlike anything I'd ever seen before as panic set in for those without an above average stack.  With 624 entering the event, and with 61 getting their Golden Willy Wonka WSOP seat, more screaming failed "deals," obvious collusion, fights, accusations of cheating, flashed cards, insults, etc. took their toll on management...

What do you think of their decision on how to deal with all of this...

The three floormen decided that to end the problems, we were to go hand-for-hand with 65 left (61 would get paid).  To counter the "soft play" among players that was accused at about every table, management decided that from now on, each player, as they folded, was not to throw his cards into the "muck," but to "fold" their hand by putting it out just a little bit in front of them.  After a pot was awarded, management would order EACH FOLDED HAND SHOWN!  Upon viewing each folded hand, which was lying right in front of each player who had discarded it, management would subjectively decide whether or not the player was "soft playing," and would inflict a one-round penalty upon that player.

A player at the table next to mine, was revealed to have folded pocket tens to three larger stacks (on the bubble) and was given a one-round penalty!

HUH?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

He rightfully lost his mind and raised hell.

Management then decided to no longer persue that policy about fifteen minutes later.  Time to go from 65 players to 61?  About three hours.  Yes.  Really.

When fights resulted and hysteria broke out with 62 left (yes, just one from the money), management threatened to end the tournament right then and there and refund all  624 people's $1060 buy-ins.

HUH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!??!!??!!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!??!?!!?

Yes, they were dead serious.

Remember...this wasn't at some VFW bingo hall.

This was at the World Series of Poker at the Rio $1060 mega to the main event.  Today.  Yes.  You read all of that stuff right.

Anyway, I'd write more on the subject, but tomorrow's that special day.

How's this for a peculiar omen.  I'm playing at the exact same table I played at in 2009.  Know how many tables there are at the Rio?  Even weirder... I'm in the exact seat of the guy who busted me that day.

Guess we'll see soon what this all means...


Boom Shaka Laka Laka,
Kai

1 comment: